Hair greying is a natural process often associated with growing old. But how and exactly why black hair turns into white? The pigment cells in the hair follicle produce the chemical ‘melanin’ which gives hair black, red, brown colours.
When we get older, melanin production reduces and makes hair grey, silver or white. That’s why greying of hair is associated with age. When hair starts to grey during the early 20s and 30s it is called ‘premature greying of hair’.
Causes For Premature Greying
- Severe illness
- Mental tensions
- Nutritional deficiency
- Medical conditions include thyroid, vitiligo, Vitamin B12 deficiency
- Excessive use of hair dryers
- Poor scalp conditioning
Preventive Care For Premature Greying
- Take a right diet rich in antioxidants.
- Proper hair & scalp hygiene
- Lessen the use of shampoo and conditioners
- Meditate to make yourself free from stress.
- Avoid using hair dyes, if at all applied use ammonia free ones.
- Consume foods rich in Vitamin A, B12 and iron.