Mustard oil is derived from mustard seeds by pressing them to extract oil. Mustard oil is extensively used in Asian cooking especially in countries like India, Nepal, Thailand, Indonesia, etc. in eastern parts of India in states of Assam, Orissa, and Bihar among others use mustard oil as their key ingredient in their cooking style.
Mustard oil has a distinctively spicy, pungent odor, taste and flavor-imparting to the cuisine.
Mustard oil is considered to be the healthiest oil among its contenders due to the presence of the healthiest ratio of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, low in saturated fats and high in monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA).
Is mustard oil is safe for consumption?
Although mustard oil is widely used, accepted and loved, many countries such as the United States of America follow strict guidelines regarding the use of mustard oil.
FDA doesn’t approve the use of mustard oil in cooking due to the presence of an erucic acid which has adverse effects guidelines regarding. On contrary, there have been no reports on humans as they have been using mustard oil for years especially in India.
Although the USFDA doesn’t approve mustard oil, there is a different variety which is approved and used
This essential mustard oil is prepared with great care from mustard seeds (either black or white). Mustard seeds grow mustard greens which have an enzyme called myrosinase and a glucosinolate called sinigrin.
These are present under normal conditions but they react to pressure or heat hence forming allyl isothiocyanate (in black mustard) and normal isothiocyanate(white mustard) which are toxic and poisonous when ingested or in contact with skin can cause harm.
Certainly, when taken care of the preparation process of mustard oil this mishap can be avoided hence this toxicity can be avoided.
Apart from providing flavor and taste to the food, mustard oil has many health benefits
Health Benefits Of Mustard Oil
- It is used a massage oil- mustard oil have essential fatty acids such as oleic acid and linoleic acid which makes an excellent hair tonic.
- It has antifungal and anti-bacterial properties- for its antibacterial and antifungal properties to show, mustard oil can be taken both internally and externally.
- Boost cardiac health-mustard oil is rich in MUFA and polyunsaturated fatty acids which decreases
badcholesterol(LDL) and raise good cholesterol (HDL).
- Improves hair health-with the presence of essential fatty acids and vitamin E it makes an
excellenthairtonic. Through massaging it increases blood circulation and hair growth.
- Benefits the skin-vitamin E nourishes the skin and protect against free radical damage. It
alsohelpsin protecting from UV light and pollution, reduce the appearance of finelinesand wrinkles.
- Decreases inflammation-mustard oil
helps dealingwith inflammation. It can help in arthritis, soothespainand decreases inflammation such as bronchitis and pneumonia.